This is my go-to dish whenever I want to make a quick and easy comforting dinner. Yes, I call this dish a comfort food because this recipe transforms the lowly hamburger patties into steaks simply by smothering them in very thick beef gravy topped with caramelized onions.
This recipe looks really special you wouldn’t think it only took about 20-30 minutes to make this. If I had mushroom that night I would have sautéed onions and mushrooms together to give it more earthy savory flavor. But believe me, even with just onions and gravy this hamburger steaks taste so delicious enough when paired with my favorite steamed Jasmine rice.
HAMBURGER STEAKS w/ ONIONS and GRAVY
Yield: 6 Servings
What we need —
* hamburger patties – 6 pcs
* onions – 3 medium pieces, cut julienne
* water – ½ cup
* beef bouillon – 7 cubes
* soy sauce – ¼ cup
* Worcestershire sauce – ¼ cup
* cooking wine – ¼ cup (or Dijon mustard – ¼ cup)
* spices – 1 tsp each (garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper)
* salt and pepper – to taste
* cornstarch – ¼ cup (dissolved in ¼ cup water)
To prepare —
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. Season the hamburger patties with salt, pepper, paprika and thyme. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. Caramelize or brown the onions in the pan; do not put any oil. Set aside.
4. Boil beef bouillon in water. While stirring, add soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper.
5. Add cooking wine (or mustard) and turn heat down to simmer.
6. Add the cornstarch mixture to thicken.
7. If there are undissolved clumps, simply strain the gravy.
8. Lay down hamburger steaks, pour some gravy and top with onions. Serve warm over rice or with buns.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!