Healing Food Series
This is the third of the series on Alkaline Food for Gouty Arthritis featuring Okra Nuggets. Besides being an alkaline food, this crunchy snacks are also very southern inspired especially with the use of cornmeal for dredging the okra pieces instead of a flour and cornstarch mixture.
Okra nuggets could be served as a side dish to BBQ Tofu Burger (another alkaline food featured on this series) or separately as appetizer. I personally don’t like the texture of okra when it comes down my throat but some people aren’t bothered by its texture. However, I love okra when mixed in a Gumbo recipe, just so yummy!
Alkaline Food for Gouty Arthritis (Part 3) – Okra Nuggets
For this recipe, Okra Nuggets, I didn’t use salt again since there’s enough flavor from the egg white, garlic powder and onion powder; except just a tad for tossing the fried okra.
This dish is very versatile; you can use a combination of spices to suit your fancy. If you want an Asian flavor you can toss it with a drizzle of sesame oil and mixed with sesame seed, onion powder, garlic powder and parsley. If you want Cajun you can drizzle it with olive oil and mixed with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, basil, cayenne and oregano.
I also only used egg white instead of the whole eggs since the yolk has higher acidity level than the white. But in general, the recommended maximum intake of egg is 2-3 per week because of its high cholesterol content.
Yield: 2 Servings
We need —
* okra – half of frozen pack
* egg white – 1
* corn meal – ½ cup
* olive oil – for pan frying
* spices – ½ tsp each (garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper)
To prepare —
1. Thaw out the okra and wipe to dry.
2. Beat the egg white in a bowl and dip all the okra pieces.
3. From the egg white wash, dip all the okra pieces into the corn meal.
4. Panfry okra for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Drain on paper towel.
6. Place okra in a bowl and toss with little salt.
7. Serve as side dish to a sandwich or as a snack.
Thank you for reading, healthy cooking!