Healing Food Series
This is the second part of the series on Alkaline Food for Gouty Arthritis. On the first part, Edamame And Squash on Rye Bruschetta, I quoted Herbs Info as it identified food items that could be included in the alkaline diet for people suffering from gouty arthritis. These items include: Rye bread, Tofu, Okra, Green soybeans (edamame), Carrots, Green leafy vegetables, Tomato, Red and yellow pepper, Pumpkin (or any squash), Green onion, Cucumber, Cabbage, Lettuce, Garlic, Dried seaweed, and Olive oil.”
For this recipe, I included the above highlighted items and also used the Edamame and Squash mixture as relish for the sandwich. I also tried to give the tofu a smoky-barbeque flavor by using mostly natural and organic ingredients.
Alkaline Foods for Gouty Arthritis (Part 2) – Tofu Burger on Rye Toast
Meats of all kinds are often cut down if not totally eliminated from the diet of a person suffering from chronic arthritis, especially during the painful breakout due to the meats’ purine content.
“Purines are compounds that break down into uric acid. Eating high-purine foods can cause uric acid to accumulate in your bloodstream, leading to painful uric acid crystals in your joints, the primary symptom of gout. Foods with a high concentration of purines include animal-based proteins like red meat, certain shellfish and organ meats,” according to Live Strong.
A Japanese study at the Hyogo College of Medicine pointed out that tofu is a safe source of protein for gout patients.
Hence, tofu became the most popular meat substitute used in an alkaline diet. It is made from the curds of soymilk and low in purines.
The most important part of this recipe is prepping the tofu a day prior to making this dish. This process is necessary to get rid of extra water that the tofu holds. I placed the tofu on the plastic colander over a bowl. Then I put a saucer plate on top of the tofu and placed a heavier bowl on top of the saucer. I kept it this way in the refrigerator overnight.
I also used natural spices for the BBQ dry rub and bbq sauce, except for the ketchup. But there are organic brands out there for healthier option. The spices I used have anti-inflammatory properties to “help” reduce swelling or inflammation such as turmeric, cayenne, and garlic. The rest are just for flavor.
BBQ Tofu Burger on Rye Toast
Yield: 3 Servings
We need —
* tofu – half block
* bbq dry rub – 1 tsp each:
(dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder , cumin, black pepper, cayenne, turmeric)
* bbq sauce:
bbq rub (1 tbsp), ketchup organic or all natural (2 tbsp), honey (3 tbsp),
rice wine vinegar (2 tbsp)
* tomato slices
* cucumber slices
* rye bread
To prepare —
1. Prep the tofu to get rid of excess water. (See above for instructions).
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 F
3. Cut tofu to your desired thickness.
4. Rub tofu slices with olive oil.
5. Mix all the spices for the bbq dry rub and rub generously over tofu.
5. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Mix all the ingredients for bbq sauce and brush generously over tofu. Bake for another 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, I turned the tofu over and brush the bbq sauce on the other side.
7. Toast rye bread and assemble the burger. I used the Edamame and Squash mixture as relish and spread it on.
8. Add the a few lettuce leaves, tomato and cucumber slices.
9. Add the tofu and drizzle a little bbq sauce on top.
10. Best served warm or as soon as it’s assembled.
Thank you for reading and healthy cooking!