Here’s another pumpkin saving recipe (from the Halloween) you can try. The most popular pumpkin recipe there is – pumpkin pie. I call this recipe “old fashioned” because this sweet recipe is made from scratch even the dough was handmade!
But you don’t have to if you don’t have time and patience to try it. Just buy commercial pie shell or pastry dough or pie crust of your choice and use it instead.
OLD FASHIONED PUMPKIN PIE
Yield: 2 of 8-inch Pie Pan
You need —
* pumpkin – 1 med-large size (Halloween leftover décor)
* butter – 1 cup melted (or almond/coconut butter)
* apples – 2 pcs. peeled and cubed (for added texture and flavor)
* eggs – 3 beaten
* honey – 1 cup (or brown sugar)
* condensed milk – 1 can
* spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg – 1 tsp each
To prepare —
1. Cut pumpkin into quarters, gut and wash.
2. Brush the melted butter generously on the pumpkin surface.
3. Bake pumpkin and the apples (in separate pan) for hour-and-half or until soft.
4. Scoop all the pumpkin into a blender or food processor and puree. If needed, add a little amount of water to get the machine going.
5. Mash or puree the apples as well.
6. Mix the pumpkin and apples together in a bigger bowl.
7. Add all remaining ingredients together except eggs. Adjust the sweetness according to your taste. Add more honey or brown sugar if you want it sweeter.
8. Then, add the eggs and mix well. Set aside.
9. Grease your baking pie pan.
10. Using rolling pin, roll the prepared pie or pastry dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
11. Bring dough over to the pan and crimp the sides.
12. Pour the pumpkin mixture or filling into the pie shell.
13. Bake for 45 minutes or until center is dry – how? Dip the toothpick in the center of the pie when it comes out dry and clean, your pie is cooked.
To prepare Pie or Pastry Dough —
* flour – 2 cups
* baking powder – 1 tsp
* shortening – 1 cup (you can use butter)
* sugar – 1 tbsp
* salt – 1 tsp
* water – ½ cup
Using a rubber spatula, mix together all the dry ingredients.
Mix well to air it out. Add the water and fold in the flour mixture.
Add the shortening and incorporate everything together, use your hands.
When all the ingredients are fully folded in, lay it in a pan and cover with plastic.
Leave it in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
Thank you for reading, happy cooking!