This is a Soup for Colds & Flu recipe. Since cold and flu are very common, I thought I’d feature an Asian soup dish that is not only good as comfort food during the cold months but also best for colds and flu.
This soup brings me back to my childhood. Every time I was sick my mother would make me this soup so I can recover fast.
Least that I know the ingredients in porridge are what aid or speed up the healing process because the recipe calls for herbs,spices, and other natural ingredients with natural healing properties.
Here is the recipe, enjoy!
CHICKEN RICE PORRIDGE (Congee/Lugaw)
Yield: 3-4 Servings
* Chicken breast – 1 pc sliced — > Lean protein source
* Garlic – 5 cloves minced ——> Antibiotic, antifungal, antiseptic
* Ginger – 2 oz cut in rounds —-> Eases symptoms of colds & flu
* Onion – half minced ———> Anti-inflammatory
* White rice – 1 cup uncooked —> Gluten-free
* Water – 4 cups ————–> Natural cleanser
* Eggs – boiled 1 pc (garnish) —-> High in protein & vitamins
* Spring onions – ¼ cup (garnish) -> Vit. C & Beta carotene
* Curry powder – ½ tsp ———> Contains Turmeric, an antioxidant
* Salt & pepper (to season)
* Fish sauce – 1 tbsp (optional) —-> Soy-free Asian flavoring
1. Cut and prepare all the ingredients.
2. Turn heat to medium. Heat up 2 tbsp oil in a soup pan.
3. Saute garlic, ginger, and onion. Add the chicken and fish sauce.
4. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove the ginger at this time.
5. Stir in the rice. Add water. Turn stove to low heat. Cover and let the rice cook.
6. Check the rice, when it’s cooked, add the curry powder.
7. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Serve warm.
8. Garnish with sliced hard boiled egg, spring onion, garlic toast, or a squeeze of lemon.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!