Gluten, Soy, Sugar, Grain, & Dairy-Free
This is my version of Summer Squash Braised in Coconut Milk (Ginataang Kalabasa in Filipino) I used summer squash because it’s in season and a friend gave them to me.
I also used green beans which we grow in our own garden in mid Spring.
Some other ingredients are easier to find now at most grocery stores like coconut milk, mussels and ginger powder.
Enjoy the recipe!
Coconut Braised Summer Squash & Green Beans
Yield: 4-5 servings
- Summer squash – 1 med sized (peeled or not) cut in cubes
- Green beans – 2 cups (cut ends off)
- Coconut milk – 1 can
- Bacon – 1 cup chopped
- Mussels – 2 cups (optional/ or use shrimp instead/or none if allergic)
- Onion – 1 med sliced
- Garlic – 1 tbsp minced
- Ginger powder – 2 tsp
- Salt, pepper (to taste)
- Fish sauce – 2 tsp (to season, optional)
- Render the bacon until brown. Take some of bacon grease if too much.
- Add and saute garlic, onion, and ginger powder.
- Add mussels and mix well. Add beans and mix again.
- Cover the pan. Turn heat to medium for 3 minutes.
- Add summer squash and coconut milk. Stir everything lightly, cover.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, check squash and beans if cooked. The doneness of the vegetables is up to your own liking.
- When you think the vegetables are cooked, season with salt and pepper.
- Add fish sauce if you want. Adjust the taste and serve warm.
*Best served with garlic toast or over steamed rice.
Thank you for reading, happy cooking!