Today I picked some of the bottle gourds that we grew in the garden. They need to be picked out soon before the temperature drops and starts to freeze. So I took a few and since gourds of all varieties are now in season, I thought I could try it for a salad recipe.
Some gourds are only good for decorations but the bottle gourds are meatier and very edible. I peeled them and cut into thin slices.
To my surprise, they are crunchier and taste fresher than cucumber.
- Bottle gourds – 3 pieces (medium size, peeled, thinly sliced)
- Pesto sauce – 2 tsp
- Red wine vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt, pepper, sugar (season to taste)
- Red pepper flakes (to garnish)
- Dried chives (to garnish)
- Peel and slice 3 medium-size bottle gourds.
- Mix all ingredients to a salad bowl.
- Adjust seasoning according to your taste.
- Refrigerate before serving.
Thank you for reading and happy cooking!